Material data for bricks

Sim1
WUFI User
WUFI User

Material data for bricks

Post by Sim1 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:15 am -1100

Hello, I am modelling three walls built with three different types of specific bricks to determine the moisture content. The brickwork wall is protected by a stone cladding so not directly in contact with external rain.

The data available for the bricks are in line with the standards EN 771-1 which defines dry density, thermal conductivity, water absorption (in % by mass), water vapour permeability (relevant properties among the others). I don't have data for porosity, moisture content at free saturation wf, moisture reference content w80 or water absorption coefficient as these do not need to be measured by the suppliers. Is that possible to derive some of the missing data from the data declared? As a first assumption I'm modifying bricks from the MASEA database using similar densities and thermal conductivity.

Also, two values for water vapour diffusion resistance factor are given, one for diffusion into the component and the other for diffusion out of the component (higher value - drying period). What's the correct value to assume?

How should I consider the effect of the mortar in WUFI Pro? I'm not sure if an area-weighted average of the data will give results that are sufficiently accurate. I could model these in WUFI 2D but I need to include a cavity which is ventilated and includes an air change source (not possible to model with WUFI 2D).

Thank you in advance for any help.