Access to the climate data base

MRN
WUFI User
WUFI User

Access to the climate data base

Post by MRN »

Hello,

I am working on a project to investigate the hygrothermal behavior of the basement adjacent to the soil.
The ground surface with either soil or gravel material is exposed to outdoor climates. Therefore, the corresponding boundary condition of that surface is set using the climate data.

As in many locations, negative temperatures exist in the climate file during the year. However, as described by Künzel et al. (Feuchteverhalten von Kellerwänden mit Innendämmung, 2008), the soil temperature on the ground remains in the range of zero and does not go lower. By applying this assumption and changing the negative outdoor temperatures (measured in a reference building in central Europe) to zero, I see a significant reduction in computational time with almost no influence on the final results. The time-consuming loops in the simulations are eliminated and each step goes smoothly to the next without having any further in-loop iterations. Therefore, the iterations to improve the temperature calculations are no longer needed in the condition when negative temperatures on the ground surface are replaced with zero.
[As explained in the aforementioned paper, I assume that this is attributed to the fact that the moisture in the ground also acts as a latent heat store at the freezing point of the water, i.e., temperatures below 0° C are only reached after longer periods of frost, when all the water in the soil layer under consideration has frozen to ice. This is also the reason why the temperature in Figure 3 on the earth's surface remains in the range of 0° C despite the period of permafrost.]

Now, I would like to perform simulations in more locations using the weather database provided by WUFI. However, apparently, there is no way of accessing the data files to be able to modify the temperatures and apply them on the ground surface. Could you please let me know if there is any chance to reach the data files?

Although some sources to find climate files are indicated on your webpage, the exact year of the cold/warm year of the locations provided in the database of WUFI is not specified, so I could select that specific year through the sources of data. In case of not having access to the data files, would be appreciated if more information on the exact year of cold/warm year for each location could be provided (In particular, I need the information for locations in the central EU).

Regards.
Christian Bludau
WUFI SupportTeam IBP
WUFI SupportTeam IBP

Re: Access to the climate data base

Post by Christian Bludau »

Hello,
Now, I would like to perform simulations in more locations using the weather database provided by WUFI. However, apparently, there is no way of accessing the data files to be able to modify the temperatures and apply them on the ground surface. Could you please let me know if there is any chance to reach the data files?
Unfortunately we are not allowed to give out the climate data in a readable format. If you only need the temperature you may perform a simulation on some surface using a high heat transfer coefficient (eg 1e9). This way the surface temperature will be the outdoor climate temperature, which you can output in ASCII.
Although some sources to find climate files are indicated on your webpage, the exact year of the cold/warm year of the locations provided in the database of WUFI is not specified, so I could select that specific year through the sources of data. In case of not having access to the data files, would be appreciated if more information on the exact year of cold/warm year for each location could be provided (In particular, I need the information for locations in the central EU).
The cold/warm reference years usually do not have a specific year, as they are mostly generated from up to 10 years.

Have a look on the shinyweatherdata - there you can generate worldwide climate files in WUFI wac format based on ERA5 recalculations. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1246

Christian