Wood rotting with WufiBio

Everything that didn't fit in any other topic
manexi
WUFI User
WUFI User

Wood rotting with WufiBio

Post by manexi » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:19 am -1100

Hello.

I have a particular construction with wood inside my walls. I'd like to asess fungus growth (xylophageous) in this component but I think I read somewhere that WufiBio only takes into account mould concerning human health. Is this right? Would this mean that I can't assess fungus developpment with wufibio?

Moreover, is it correct to try and analyse mould/fungus growth within the walls? I've been told the current model is correct only for internal surfaces, but I'd like to be sure.

Thank you!
Manexi

Christian Bludau
WUFI SupportTeam IBP
WUFI SupportTeam IBP

Post by Christian Bludau » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:10 pm -1100

Hello Manexi,

the growth of wood destructing fungus is not yet included into WufiBio. It only takes the growing conditions of many mould species in account. So at the moment it is not possible to assess wood destroying fungus with WufiBio.
We are working on including a model as post process module for Wufi, but it is not finished yet.
You should have a look at the work of Hannu Viitanen, he did a lot of work about biological wood destruction.

The analysis of mould growth within the wall can be done with WufiBio, but you have to keep in mind, that the models are developed for the inner surface and usually you have different growing conditions in the construction (e.g. biocides in materials, no air avaliable etc...). So be careful interpreting the results if the source is a position in the construction.

Regards,
Christian